29 Atlanta Area Students Awarded $1,000 Burger King Scholarships
Thursday, May 17th, 2018
GPS Hospitality, one of the nation’s largest BURGER KING franchisees with close to 400 restaurants, proudly announces its awarding of 187 BURGER KING McLAMORE Foundation scholarships to students in 10 states this graduation season.
Funded solely through local restaurants guest donations, students named BURGER KING℠ Scholars receive $1,000 scholarships to further their educational advancement – joining more than 3,400 other recipients throughout North America that were awarded a collective $3.7 million in 2018.
The BURGER KING Scholars selected for the 2018 program from the Atlanta metro area include:
· Lauren Gower, Etowah High School
· Christopher Cochran, River Ridge High School
· Manuel Rodriguez Batista, Sprayberry High School
· Hanna Yalew, Mount Paran Christian School
· Connor Darling, Lassiter High School
· Ashleigh Pynn, Lassiter High School
· Yuyan Ke, Cross Keys High School
· William York, Lakeside High School
· Om Purohit, South Forsyth High School
· Peter Do, Meadowcreek High School
· Peyton Moore, West Forsyth High School
· Drakenda Graham, Douglass High School
· Jennifer Near, Alpharetta High School
· Percie Thompson, Coretta Scott King Young Women's Leadership Academy
· Amoolya Vayalapalli, Northview High School
· Grace Wei, Johns Creek High School
· Austin Wolk, Mountain View High School
· Tasneem Khondokar, Meadowcreek High School
· Katherine Starcher, Norcross High School
· Irene Corona Avila, Central Gwinnett High School
· Kevin Lopez, Mountain View High School
· Matthew Nails, Archer High School
· Samuel Coughlin, Meadowcreek High School
· Jennifer Diaz, Meadowcreek High School
· Lauren Godard, Wesleyan School
· Rebekah Wheadon, Greater Atlanta Christian School
· Marisa Ridgely, North Gwinnett High School
· Richard Yoo, North Gwinnett High School
· Nghi Phan, Meadowcreek High School
“We celebrate the achievements of the 187 McLamore scholars whose dedication and hard work are being honored by both GPS and Burger King, as well as the many restaurants guests who donated to this worthy cause,” said Tom Garrett, CEO of GPS Hospitality. “A $1 donation makes a difference, especially when it happens 187,000 times. It is important to recognize the countless members of our restaurant teams nationwide who collectively raised the funds to fulfill these grants. They are making an indelible impact on the lives of the scholars and their academic pursuits.”
GPS Hospitality restaurants participated in both the Spring and Fall McLAMORE Foundation fundraisers in 2017, which generated $187,000 in $1 donations. Since its inception in 2000, the Foundation has awarded more than 33,000 scholarships to high school seniors, BURGER KING employees, their spouses/domestic partners and children across the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, resulting in $35 million in grants to students in local communities.
Recipients were selected by the Foundation based on their grade point average, extracurricular activities, community service and work experience.
“Investing in thousands of students each year is our way of advancing education,” said Amanda Israel, executive director, BURGER KING McLAMORE℠ Foundation. “These regional awards represent the top students across the nation who are working towards creating a brighter future for everyone.”
The BURGER KING Scholars program is the BURGER KING McLAMORE Foundation’s flagship program, established to honor the legacy of the BURGER KING brand’s co-founder James W. McLamore, whose commitment to philanthropy and education made him a pillar of community service throughout his lifetime.